Tuesday, October 4, 2011

GLASSLANDS Inspiration

The inspiration for designing the GLASSLANDS Collection sculpture's came to me after a trip to the Gaspe peninsula in the summer of 2010. I had visited Les Jardins de Metis/Reford Gardens in Grande Metis on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, where international artists are invited by Director, Alexander Reford to create outdoor installations to be showcased at the historic gardens.

After this visit it made me think about the reflective interplay my crystal sculpture could have with nature, and so when I returned to Toronto I took some of my existing pieces up to the Caledon, countryside and placed these art pieces in the landscape to see how they would refract the environment.

The photograph's I took in September 2010 inspired me enough to draw the ten large scale sculpture designs by the Spring of 2011 which I proposed for outdoor exhibition, and were based upon the strategic sustainability program of The Natural Step Canada. This summer, exhibitions were held at both the Pond Gallery, at the Alton Art Centre in Caledon, and at Southbrook Vineyards in Niagara on the Lake, Canada's first Biodynamic winery.

I am now beginning work on the first of the ten large scale sculpture's, and planning other exhibitions of the GLASSLANDS Limited Edition Design Drawings and Photography at art galleries and environmental centres across Canada.

“Glasslands is a unique exhibition that considers the beauty and fragile state of our environment. The elements of the exhibit are inspiring and filled with hope but are symbols of the action required by all of us if we are to restore the balance between nature and human impact.”

Geoff Cape, Co Founder, Executive Director, Evergreen
www.evergreen.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment